Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Food Group Laments

Lowly carb, the peasant of foods,

maligned by every diet book around,

I lie on the plate pasty and eschewed,

as praises for veg and protein abound.


While I am modest, homey comfort fare,

guys at the processing plant sap my fiber,

and now the slim misses pass me sans a care,

for fish, greens and organic cauliflower.


All I've tried to do without flourish is provide

good nourishment for pennies on the dollar,

and for my pains they've sent me down the slide

to the bowels of the food pyramid cellar.


Why I am the object of such foody hate?

After all, I did not supersize myself,

or insist I be bathed in hot transfat,

or altered to extend my life on shelf.


I pray for the day I am rehabilitated

like my friend the egg who was ostracized

for years because he was cholesterol-tainted,

now back from the gulag, by Rachel Ray lionized.


If your hips are broad, get to the Bow-Flex, gyrate,

Your abdomen protrudes? Do some crunches!

Stop blaming the humble carbohydrate

for those gargantuan guilty lunches.



Creative Commons License
RussellWrites Blog by http://russellwrites.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghostly Tidewater Trilogy

Survey: Science Literacy for Women

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.

Buy my coming-of-age novel, DEED SO, in paperback.

Buy my 'cozy thriller' mystery, A POINTED DEATH

Buy my children's book, Buddy's Tail, for ages 9 and up.


Deed So Web Site

Mystery Series Web Site

Mystery Series Web Site
A POINTED DEATH, the first book in the Pointer Mystery Series

Buddy's Tail Web Site